Monday, 7 June 2010

Childhood :)

Saw this survey on Inspired Mess and decided to give it a try. Seems like a fun idea! I'll start off with some baby photos of mine. :)


1. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Singapore, a sunny island, a red dot on the world map, a multi-racial and multi-religion country! I love it here and I think I will spend the rest of my life here as well. :)

2. Do you consider your childhood a happy one?
Definitely! My parents chose to live with my grandparents so all my cousins would be dropped off in the morning and picked up in the evening when my uncles/aunties got off work. That meant lots of kids to play together with. There's occasional squabbles and petty fights but we had fun overall. My parents also used to own a shop in a mall and sometimes, they would bring me along to work. I remember walking all over the mall by myself all the time, going to different shops and interacting with the shop owners. It was a childhood filled with joy and love. :)

3. Do you have any siblings?
Yup, a younger brother. He's the baby boy in the photo above. Everyone says we look totally alike. I didn't want to believe it at first but after I took neoprints with him in Japan while on holiday, I was totally shocked at our resemblance. You can judge for yourself with this photo montage I did a while back.


4. Who did you think was the smartest person in the world?
I guess that would be my mum or dad. I was told that I used to ask them questions about why and how things are the way they are, ALL THE TIME. My dad told me my mum got so irritated that she asked me to stop asking! Haha! I remembered once asking my mum while in the shower together why her nipples were brown in colour? (Sorry for the details, I was just a child then!). For your info, I still ask them lots of questions. Haha ;P

5. Did you ever run away from home?
Nope, it didn't occur for me to do so when I was a child. I probably didn't have the guts to do so anyway. My mum was rather scary back then!

6. What about being a child do you miss the most?
Ignorance and Innocence. I never had to worry about school fees and family finances when I was young because I had no idea what these issues really were. As I grew older and understood more, I just felt like I have to start assuming responsibilities and do something to make everything better, for myself and especially for my family.  

7. Where did your family go on vacation?
We went to Thailand once when I was about 5 or 6, and I had food poisoning after eating lobster bought from street stalls. I vomited blood the next morning and gave my parents the shock of their lives. They had to bring me all around just to get a doctor because it was a holiday in Thailand on that day. Strangely, I was okay after eating Macdonalds while sitting on the mini carousel outside the store. I miss going overseas together as a family as we aren't able to do so for a long time. My dad drives a cab and has no way to cover his rental fees if we go on a holiday together, with our current financial situation. My dream is to make it happen again someday (not the food poisoning part though!). 

8. What is something you really wish you hadn't started earlier in life?
Chatting in IRC. It was a stupid experience that gained me knowledge that I wished I didn't have to receive. I stopped quite a number of years ago. The only good thing out of it was that I met someone who became a good friend and keeps in touch even now, from the school channel.

9. Did you have any serious accidents or illnesses as a child?
The only major illness I can remember is the food poisoning case mentioned above. I still get food poisoning/gastric flu once in a while. In fact, I just recovered from one. I've got a weak stomach. :(

10. Did you have any nicknames?
My entire extended family calls me Baobao (meaning burger in Mandarin). I was kinda chubby when I was young. An aunt gave me that nickname and it stuck on, even till now. It's kinda embarrassing sometimes, especially when my dad calls me that out loud in the supermarket. He does it on purpose sometimes. Haha!

11. Name 5 school days accomplishments.
1. I was among the top 3 when I was in kindergarten and scored almost full marks for all my papers then.
2. I got into Special stream (the best stream in the nation) for secondary school.
3. I was part of a field hockey team that created our school history by getting into the 2nd round during the national school tournament, for the first time since hockey started in the school. You see, we were the underdogs and it was an achievement itself to qualify for the 2nd round, even though we were beaten badly after that.  
4. Winning fights (mostly verbal) even though my opponents were boys and older kids in school. Okay, I admit, I was pretty mean then. However, most of my opponents were either friends or turned into friends eventually. So I guess there's no major damage done. :) 
5. Scoring As for my English Language in major examinations. Something I'm really proud of. :)

12. What stories have been told about yourself as a baby?
Everyone tells me that I'm so fat and chubby when I was a baby. I had chicken pox when I turned 1 month old, not much people turned up for my celebration because they feared being infected. I set off a whole series of chicken pox in my family though. Haha! I was also told that I would always be standing near the kitchen when my grandma's cooking, hoping to get a bite somehow. I was never satisfied no matter how many bites were given. Such a glutton!

13. Did religion/church play a part in your childhood social activities?
Major. My mum was brought up in a Buddhist temple together with some others whom I call aunties now. The aunties manage the temple now that they're grown up and my family often go over to help out during special occasions, like Vesak Day. It was a huge part of my life because I would always hang out there as a child. I attended a primary school that was funded by a Buddhist society and had to learn Buddhist teachings and bow to the Buddha everyday during assembly, in addition to the normal syllabus. I'm a Christian now, but I still go over to the temple to visit and help out sometimes.

14. What objects do you remember from your childhood?
My polly pockets. I wish I still have them now. I love how I can open up each special box and there would be a dollhouse inside. Oh, and tons of books. I was such a bookworm, visited the library often. I can't go to sleep without reading then. I still love reading. :)

15. What was the number of students in your graduating class?
I think there was 30-40 of them. I can't remember the exact number now. We still have each other on our msn/facebook.

16. What is one thing that you never did in high school that you wish you would have done?
Step out and get to know more people. Others thought I look really scary and arrogant but I was actually really shy. In the end, I stayed pretty much in my tiny circle of friends. They were awesome though!

17. Did you go to college and what was your major?
I was in the Arts stream and did Geography, English Literature and Economics plus a little bit of Mathematics while in junior college. I'm doing a degree now, majoring in Counselling and Criminology.

18. What was the funniest thing someone wrote in your yearbook?
My yearbooks are still with my friends! I tried getting them to return to me, but to no avail. :(

19. How has your hometown changed since you were a kid?
Not much, still pretty much the same. It's just that the mall nearby's more fashionable now.

20. If you could go back and tell your younger self anything, what would it be?
Have more confident and love yourself. You were created by God to be unique and special, just the way you are. You are not an accident nor a burden. You're a gift. Don't compare yourself with others and be sad about what you don't possess. Focus on what you have and enjoy yourself. Remember that you're perfect in His eyes and that's all that matters. :)

Whew! That was long and tedious, but so much fun trying to recall everything from my childhood. Let me know if you're doing it as well! ;D

4 comments:

  1. HAHA! BAO BAO! such a cute nickname! XD

    SY

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cute survey!!!!!
    xoxo,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I loved reading your answers! This was such a cute survey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looove your answers! This was so interesting to read!!!! Thanks for playing along!!! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you. :)