Friday, 18 March 2011

Are You Performance-Oriented?

" BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD"

This was the opening verse to a sermon that I was listening from church. "BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD", I'm sure we've heard this verse multiple times in worship songs, but have we ever stop to think and understand its full meaning?

Many a times, we tend to rely on our own strength in achieving things, so much so that we forget all about God. We're constantly trying to prove something, so that we can be recognised. We fail to realise that whatever we have actually comes from Him, the Almighty God. There's nothing for us to be proud of, because all the credit should go to Him. Even today, after listening to the sermon, I forgot to be humble and became proud when I heard from Sayang that I was praised by someone else. I was only reminded again of the message when the opening verse came back to me just now, making me realise that I did not earn the praise by my own strength. Sayang was actually the one who mentioned something way earlier that allowed me to suggest/feedback on an issue. We need to be humble and graceful in our everyday life, being constantly reminded of the fact that all is possible because of Him.

In this fast-paced world, especially in a society like that of Singapore, we tend to be so performance-oriented that we forgot to rest. We feel like we constantly have to be on the go. Sometimes, resting makes us feel so guilty. We have to understand that God is in control, that we need not fret or worry about anything. As long as we've a good relationship with Him, we will be at peace, contented with what we have and not be caught up with the worldly needs and desires. I'm not sure about you, but I have to admit that I'm guilty of committing the above offences.

The sermon was really a wake-up call to me. I don't usually discuss deep into my faith in my blog, but today, I felt so compelled to type this post. For those who are interested, you may click on this link: http://www.everynation.org.sg/sermons/rss.php to access the sermons from my church. This particular sermon is titled 'Performance'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you. :)